May 8, 2021

Football News 247

Get All the Latest Football News On the Hour 247

Paul Glatzel shines for 9-man Liverpool with 1st start in 6 months – Liverpool FC

Paul Glatzel made his first start in six months as the Liverpool Under-23s played their penultimate game of the season, ending with nine men in a 2-2 draw with Leicester.

Liverpool U23 2-2 Leicester U23

premier league 2, Kirkby
May 3, 2021

Goals: Clarkson 18 ′, Woodburn pen 45 + 2 ′; Clayton OG 45 ′, McAteer 65 ′

It was another tough campaign for Glatzel, who recovered from a long-term ACL injury that curtailed his stint in the first team in 2019 to suffer a series of setbacks.

Most worrying was the ankle ligament injury suffered in a 0-0 draw with Southampton in December, with Jurgen Klopp that day at Kirkby as he was helped off the pitch at half-time.

Monday saw him return to the starting fold for the first time this year, only making his third start to the season replacing Joe Hardy in one of four changes to Barry Lewtas’ squad.

Glatzel lined up in an offensive unit with Ben Woodburn, Luis Longstaff and Fidel O’Rourke, but the young Reds were shaken in the eighth minute as Morgan Boyes was arguably sent off for a last man challenge.

This forced Lewtas to change his system and push Glatzel further down the left wing, but it also led to the first goal as the 20-year-old drilled a brilliant cross for Leighton Clarkson to finish.

Liverpool were on the ascendancy for much of the first half, only to be canceled out by the excellent work of Leicester’s Kasey McAteer, with his cross shot being tucked over the line by Tom Clayton.

Scores were even for the two minutes, however, with Glatzel pushed as he looked to lead the Longstaff cross, allowing Woodburn to step up and convert the penalty.

Clayton was exceptional as a leader at the back, and it was the 20-year-old’s organization that kept Liverpool going as long as they did, before being caught with a sublime McAteer finish.

Lewtas retired Glatzel with 22 minutes left, but substituting midfielder Tyler Morton saw red before full time for two bookable offenses.

It was a headline-hungry display from referee Scott Simpson, and Lewtas made it clear after the final whistle – which sent him off as well.

The win could have seen the young Reds propel Everton to fifth place premier league 2, but a draw leaves it on the last day – this time at Leicester – with Man City having already fled with the title.

TIA Man of the Match: Leighton Clarkson

Liverpool U23: Ojrzynski; Gallacher, Boyes, Clayton, Beck; Clarkson, Dixon-Bonner, Woodburn; Longstaff (Savage 71 ′), Glatzel (Morton 68 ′), O’Rourke (Hardy 80 ′)

Subs not used: Hughes, Walls

Next match: Leicester (A) – premier league 2 – Monday May 10, 7 p.m. (BST)